Thursday 2 July 2009

Yesterday I heard and forgot, today I see and I remember, forever I will do and understand.

Positive Power Card; I hear and forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.

This above quote appears to be quite popular on the internet. Previous attempts to unearth the true origin have yielded 'Confusious', 'Some ancient Greek' or an ancient chinese proverb.

There is however nothing confusing about James 1 ("Testing of your faith") This chapter is all about the trails that one can expect, trials that we should experience to be spiritual , enduring, as "complete joy" through the Lord, who is sovereign over all things, including trials.

Jas 1:2-8 GW
(2) My brothers and sisters, be very happy when you are tested in different ways.
(3) You know that such testing of your faith produces endurance.
(4) Endure until your testing is over. Then you will be mature and complete, and you won't need anything.
(5) If any of you needs wisdom to know what you should do, you should ask God, and he will give it to you. God is generous to everyone and doesn't find fault with them.
(6) When you ask for something, don't have any doubts. A person who has doubts is like a wave that is blown by the wind and tossed by the sea.
(7) A person who has doubts shouldn't expect to receive anything from the Lord.
(8) A person who has doubts is thinking about two different things at the same time and can't make up his mind about anything.

We should know that;
Heb 4:12 God's word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet. God's word judges a person's thoughts and intentions.

We should listen to GOD's word;
Jas 1:23-25 GW
(23)
If someone listens to God's word but doesn't do what it says, he is like a person who looks at his face in a mirror,
(24) studies his features, goes away, and immediately forgets what he looks like.
(25) However, the person who continues to study God's perfect teachings that make people free and who remains committed to them will be blessed. People like that don't merely listen and forget; they actually do what God's teachings say.

Lets read these verses again. This time notice my additional words in bold. Read the word in bold in order and you have today's Positive Power Card!

Jas 1:23-25 GW
(23) If someone listens to God's word (I hear) but doesn't do what it says, he is like a person who looks at his face in a mirror, (and)
(24) studies his features, goes away, and immediately forgets what he looks like. ( I forget)
(25) However (I see, and) , the person who continues to study God's perfect teachings that make people free and who remains committed to them will be blessed. People like that don't merely listen and forget (I remember); they actually do what God's teachings say. (I do and understand)

Is'nt this awesome, again!?

Translated, my spiritual card reads then as follows; Yesterday I heard and forgot, today I see and I remember, forever I will do and understand.

Bless You

No comments: